My Mother's Day Dinner - Chicken Teriyaki and Brown Fried Rice
I wanted to do something special for my mom on Mother’s Day, so I took her to an Orioles game -- we won 11-3 by the way, with a grand slam by Manny Machado -- and made her dinner. Per her request, I made her chicken teriyaki and brown fried rice. I was excited to make this dish because I was able to use my pretty Le Creuset braiser for the first time.
My favorite part about this meal was how easy it was to make. With a little prep ahead of time, making this dish was a breeze. I made the brown rice the night before and marinated the chicken before I left for the baseball game. Marinating it for over 6 hours helped result in flavorful and juicy cuts of chicken. Pre-cooking the rice meant the only thing I had to do the next day was toss it with veggies, soy sauce, sesame oil and seeds. Also I ended up making enough to last a few days throughout the week. I'm glad my mom enjoyed her dinner. It was a perfect meal to cap off a wonder Mother's Day and huge Orioles win.
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, rinsed, dried and chopped into cubes
1/4 cup Sweet Rice Wine
1/2 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
2 minced Garlic cloves
2 T Ginger
1 Scallion (+for garnish)
2 T Honey
1 T Sesame oil
1 tsp Sesame Seeds (+ for garnish)
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes
Dark Brown Sugar
*Double the amount of ingredients to make extra sauce.
Same ingredients, add 1/2 T of cornstarch mixed with milk to thicken.
Directions for the Chicken Teriyaki:
1. Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add dark brown sugar by the teaspoon until sweetened to your liking.
2. Reserve about half of the marinade for the glaze.
3. Pour the rest of the marinade over the chicken and let the chicken marinate for 6+ hours.
4. Heat 1 T of sesame oil in a pot and toss in the marinated chicken. Stir, cover and let cook over medium heat.
5. In a saucepan, heat the reserved marinade and thicken with cornstarch. Once it's thickened, turn off the heat to ensure it doesn't reduce too much.
6. Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, turn off the heat and toss the glaze over the chicken until well covered.
7. Serve the chicken over brown fried rice and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
Ingredients for the Brown Fried Rice:
2 scrambled Eggs
1.5 Cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
3 T Soy Sauce
2 Garlic cloves
1/2 White onion (chopped)
1 T Sesame Oil
3 Cups of Cooked Brown Rice
1 T Sesame seeds
1. In 1 T of sesame oil, sauté onions and garlic.
2. Add the rice and stir to make sure its coated with the oil, garlic and onions. Add the scrambled eggs and combine with the rice.
3. Add the frozen peas/carrots and stir.
4. Add the soy sauce 1 T at a time, taste as you go along, and stir into the rice and veggies, season with pepper.
5. Stir in the sesame seeds and add the chopped scallions.
6. Serve with the chicken teriyaki.
I hope this was easy for you to make as it was for me! As always, let me know what you changed and how it worked out for you! I want to make this again, but with shrimp.