Every week I make seven of my cousin's meals that fit her meal plan. She's super busy but also supportive of my culinary dreams. This week, I made her Spanish rice with zucchini to with grilled chicken, onions, and peppers. When I delivered her food this evening, she said I should add this recipe to my website. I'm sure this rice would go great with shrimp or steak fajitas or tacos, and a nice side of guacamole. Yum!
This recipe calls for ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, but will also require you to remain close to the stove to stir the rice as it cooks. Fresh cilantro at the end brightens up the rice and sets off all of the flavors. If you're making chicken or anything else that will cook quickly, then make that last. This rice will take about an hour to cook.
Before you turn on the burner, prep everything that needs to be cut and measured out. It saves time and makes the clean up process a lot easier.
Here are the ingredients:
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of diced tomatoes
1.5 cup of chicken broth
2 T of tomato paste
2 chopped garlic cloves
1 cup chopped red onions
1.5 cup of chopped zucchini
2 tsp of dried oregano
2 tsp of cumin
2 tsp of garlic powder
Fat-free Olive Oil or Canola Spray or 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add in rice, zucchini, onions and garlic cloves and cook for 3-5 minutes.
2. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
3. Pour in the chicken broth, stir the contents together and bring it to a boil. At this point, you can taste to see if you need to add sugar if it's too tart. If you need to add sugar, add it by the teaspoon.
4. Once it's boiling, cover and turn the heat down to medium-low heat and let it simmer. Stir at least every 15 minutes until the rice is tender, but still has a slight bite and has absorbed the liquid.
5. Once the rice is done, toss in the fresh cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Like, share, comment and definitely let me know what changes you made and what other dishes I should make!